Export and Import not working Airspaces or VHF

Troubles with application

Export and Import not working Airspaces or VHF

Postby kabong.steve » 21 Jul 2019, 04:31

Since I'm trying to update the Airspaces in Aus, as well as the VHF frequencies, and the OpenAir format is not working. I thought I'd try the Import/Export options for Airspaces and VHF.

The "internal" format, the only one available seems to be XML, but it contains no useful information. the VHF version seems to contain the ICAO/Name only and nothing else.

The import supports the internal gic format, but attempting the import defaults, shows no available files, so not sure what format that is expecting.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Steve
kabong.steve

Re: Export and Import not working Airspaces or VHF

Postby Tonio » 22 Jul 2019, 07:46

Hi Steve

Airspace and VHF import options are not in the download section ad not documented yet in the User guide ...

For Airspace /Openair

To import airspaces you need a fix (GPS position) this to be able to select the Nearest Airspace option

Then from the moving map screen, try
-> short press on "Nearest"
-> Airspaces
-> short press on the 3 lines upper right side of the screen
then "Import"

For VHF

Select any airport/airfield on the moving map
In the dialogbox
-> short press on the VHF frequency
-> short press on the 3 lines upper right side of the screen
then "Import VHF"

I hope it will help

Regards
Tonio
Administrátor

Postby kabong.steve » 23 Jul 2019, 04:13

Hi Tonio,

yes, i found exactly where your talking about, although i'm ppretty sure its the same as going "Information" | Airspaces

but, as I mentioned it only ever displays files with the internal extension (.gia) or the kml extension

I don't know what extension the openair files should be to be able to import them.

the server i donwload from does not supply an extension
http://xcaustralia.org/download/
kabong.steve

Postby kabong.steve » 23 Jul 2019, 06:37

Some success. my pebcak....

I can import openair format files, as long as the file extension is .txt

So was able to import airspaces.
kabong.steve

Postby RogerF » 07 Aug 2019, 20:37

To see how the native FIF import formats look like for VHF frequencies, you simply create a new VHF and you export it to a file in that format.

I advise to be careful when you start modifying or complementing the FlyIsFun database.
If you find data on a web site and simply injecting it, it might be that the data does not match the FlyIsFun data fields so that the result is incomplete or wrong. Using Import/Export requires some investment to understand the structure and check the data.

Actually, if data is wrong or incomplete, a better way would be to report it on this forum so that the data is corrected by the author to the benefit of all users 8-)
RogerF

Return to Questions and answers