How often is the database updated?

Navaids, airports, airspaces...

How often is the database updated?

Postby jonewborg@telia.com » 31 Dec 2018, 16:21

I have a question about how long time it take from the airport information is published nationally ,

like the Swedish IAIP AD 2, until ICAO database and Fly is Fun gets it?
jonewborg@telia.com

Re: How often is the database updated?

Postby Tonio » 01 Jan 2019, 23:36

Hi JonewBorg.

As far I understood

Info of world database are updated according AIRAC cycle, every 28 days
Accuracy depends of the source used

pdf files VAC AIP...
I have the impression that the source used isn't updated regularly
Which mean, in some cases pdf files could be totaly outdated ...

Have a nice and safe flights

Tonio
Tonio
Administrátor

Postby jonewborg@telia.com » 17 Jan 2019, 09:15

When I looked at PDF database update for Sweden I read cycle 1801.

Very old!

In Garmin Pilot I read cyckle 1901!

Quite a difference!

How come?

But the RNP Points for GNSS approach ESST is there , in the database, but not shown on the map!
jonewborg@telia.com

Postby Tonio » 25 Jan 2019, 08:55

Hi John

You are right, on the fact PDF files available via FIF are in several case outdated from months...

Until now, PDF files are updated on country base, only if a user provide FIF development team with all pdf files for one country, formatted in the right format (one folder per airport with all related PDF files inside).
At least this is how it works for France. I provide them from time to time (twice a year?) updated files.

Why is it as that?
- To satisfy some users willing to get PDF, FIF development team tried to find a reliable “free” source for PDF and keep them updated, but the source doesn’t work as expected and the base isn’t automatically updated…

One reliable and official source mandated by States to collect and provide information concerning flight security in Europe is Eurocontrol.
Eurocontrol provide such document and many other information for free to end-user that connect via their website.
Eurocontrol may be the ideal source, but recently, considering that developer could make money with those official and public information and that applications could have bugs and be miss used, Eurocontrol decided that developers have to pay access right to those data and to provide proof of insurance for each user using their data via its application…

Such decision from an organization, that is mainly financed by taxes paid by European, is strange.

* In the USA, the FAA (which correspond more or less to Eurocontrol) has a totally different approach. Considering that it’s in the interest of security to make sure that all pilots get the latest updated information, considering that most pilots are using applications, FAA decided to provide developers with API and grant them free access to the data (at least for VFR), this to make sure developer push accurate data

If you know reliable database, please share them

Have nice flights

Tonio
Tonio
Administrátor

Postby turillo1986 » 04 Feb 2019, 14:45

Dear Tonio,

i here repost my previous post where i found a link to have on a server connected server all the PDF you can require, always updated thanks to the amazing work that autorouter has done.
I don't know if you speak with that team, but a combination of these two amazing softwares can bring nothing but true benefits.

Can this help to have the pdf's updates automatically?

"we have seen the great option to now download PDF files for airport plates together with navigation data.
The problem is that almost no country is included in the list, I can understand this as getting the different files is lot of work, but maybe i have the quick solution for it:

https://www.autorouter.aero/wiki/webdav-on-windows/

do you knwo this site and this option? it is a super tool used for IFR route calculator and plight plan filing, but in addition to this, it has ALL the pdfs of the different airport available.
With the simple guide i sent you can have on your pc all the plates, divided by country and by airport, i guess it will then be easy to put them on your server that sends the data to our devices no?

Is this somehting that can be done? We really miss this option since we are so close to it!

let us know :)"
turillo1986

Postby turillo1986 » 17 Jun 2019, 10:32

Hi,

Any chances to get up to date pdfs for the airport. The airac cycle available in download is conpletely out of date, to the point that in most cases it's giving very wrong information...could be dangerous for a pilot not familiar with the area...
With the above link you always get updated pdf, but is a real pain to put in the right folders manually, so that's why I'm asking for the auto download like we get for nabigation database.

Thanks.
turillo1986

Postby kitercuda » 08 Jul 2019, 17:23

- Database is updated every month
- PDFs two time a yesr - this or next months it will be updated
kitercuda
Administrátor

Postby jonewborg@telia.com » 05 Dec 2019, 09:24

Today the new swedish airport , Sälen Mountain Airport ESKS was published in aero.lfv.se IAIP AD2.
It will be nice to have it on FIF in January 2020.

My PDF cycle is very old 18.01!

How came?
jonewborg@telia.com

Postby turillo1986 » 05 Dec 2019, 09:36

Indeed, having cycle 1801 is worse than not having.
It's very dangerous to have so old information on board as i'm sure many pilots will avoid the alerts and use these PDF that in most cases give very out of date information.
I check every once in a while for updates but since the launching of the PDFs I did not see any update. What’s weird is that above it was promised to have an update every 6 months.
What is the situation today?
turillo1986

Postby jonewborg@telia.com » 07 Jan 2020, 21:51

A little curios the my Samsung Galxay 8 mobile phone got the new swedish airport ESKS when updating yesterday 20200105, but note my Samsung Notebook, doing the same!

How can it be differens so !

I thought flying with my Notebook to the new ESKS, later this month.

How shall I get it?
jonewborg@telia.com

Next

Return to Navigation database