Aircraft WnB suggestions

If you have an idea how to improve application, post it here...

Aircraft WnB suggestions

Postby Holton181 » 09 Jul 2020, 21:55

Hi,
I have just discovered the WnB section in the aircraft configuration. It seems to work nicely, and I like the possibility to define several envelopes. I use one for the ordinary longitudal envelope, and the two others to draw the max forward CG with full fuel and where the main rotor mast are located for the Robinson R44, just like in the official chart in the POH.
But there are some things I would like to see implemented if possible. I first list them and then I try to give my motivation.

1) Lateral envelope (left-right) and calculations. Of course with corresponding fields for the loads. To manage the readability and space, one could have only one of the longitudal or lateral envelopes visible, and sweep left or right to shift between them.

2) Removable equipment with fixed weight and arm in the load list. Instead of needing to remember the weight when adding them back, using a check box instead of weight field. If checked the values are taken into account, if unchecked it is not present in the calculations. This check box should not be reset when the wipe button is pressed.

3) Allow negative weights to deal with REMOVAL of loads. Related to 2).

4) Editable loads.

So, I try to motivate the above.
I fly light helicopters like the R44. In general lateral balance is more important for these than for fixed wings and that part has to be calculated. Most WnB tools are focused on fixed wings so the lateral calculation has to be done manually, and then there isn't much more effort to just do the longitudal manually as well.
To have the possibility to get both in FiF would be really nice! The lateral envelope and calculations could be activated with a check box or similar for those not using it.

Again, helicopters often has the possibilities to configure the aircraft differently between flights depending on preferences, like removing doors or second setup of cyclic, collective and pedals, baskets and so on. All of which contribute to the WnB. Most of these things have fixed location and weight, and if not frequently reconfigured (and hence values remembered) one needs to consult the POH for at least the weight every time refitted (in FiF the corresponding load is still in the list with arm defined even if the weight field is empty). If both arm and weight was kept untouched in FiF and only a check box needed to be changed, life would be a bit easier.

If the empty weight is given with all or some removable equipment fitted, negative values for the weight is needed when these equipments are removed.

The last thing is just simply to be able to reconfigure (without removing and adding back) loads in the list, in case of minor changes and/or to keep the order of items in the list without the need to redo it entirely. Or in the possible case you add some fields and options to the loads like the thing I requested above.

Last, a request for a minor thing to the user (at least for me) but might be a major effort for you to implement, the possibility to rearrange the load list. This is not very important, especially if editable loads are implemented. Just for us users to plan our list before we create it. But it would be the frosting on the already delicious cake.

Thanks for considering!
/H
Holton181

Re: Aircraft WnB suggestions

Postby kitercuda » 16 Jul 2020, 08:17

Hi,
Thanks for your suggestions. It looks reasonably. As I am pilot of fixed wings aircrafts, I did not know about helicopter lateral W&B.
I can implement your suggestions. I will need some samples. The best way for me, if you have an Excel file for calculating lateral W&B. I must test it, if it is correctly calculated.
Can you send me email - quicker communication?
kitercuda
Administrátor

Return to User suggestions