Wishing map view with a wider zoom (level 4 & 5)

If you have an idea how to improve application, post it here...

Wishing map view with a wider zoom (level 4 & 5)

Postby farfly » 22 Apr 2018, 23:50

Hi
First of all I am very impressed by Fly is fun. And I want to thank the developers.
I used and tested fif during a trip between France and Ireland, and have really appreciated the design, and the program was reliable.

Here is one of my main feedback on the program:
I miss a larger zoom out (up to zoom level 3,4,5 in TMS) in order to be able to see and plan a flight over long distance (typically 800km).
Ideally I would like to be able to see almost all Europe on one screen.

I did not manage have this view on the moving map. Zoom out seems to be locked to a zoom level 6. [edit zoom available zoom level 6 to 14 - "Fly is fun 21.20"]
Matter of detail, on the same subject, when loading a route, I would expect the map to be centered and zoomed on the extend of the route in order to be able to check visually and rapidly its validity.

Regards
farfly

Re: Wishing map view with a wider zoom (level 4 & 5)

Postby RogerF » 09 Jun 2018, 13:06

"I miss a larger zoom out."
=> I noticed this limitation; not a problem on the moving map, but could help when checking a long route or browsing over a large area in the prep phase.

"when loading a route, I would expect the map to be centered and zoomed on the extend of the route in order to be able to check visually and rapidly its validity."
=> Supported, but I would have a more general request for an automatic map centering on the item clicked in the Database view.
This would be of special interest when looking for airspaces in the "proximity" window.
I did not find a way to locate the airspace by showing it highlighted on the map and have it centred on the airspace.
Did I miss it?
RogerF

Postby Tonio » 09 Jun 2018, 23:52

Hi
Its an old request from some of us.
According Petr (months ago), due to android handset limitation, implementing it could create performance issues, slow down or crash the application
Explanation: if you zoom,out, it's too see a wider area, which mean more items will be displayed, requiring more processing power, reaching rapidly limits of low end handset
Tonio
Administrátor

Postby RogerF » 10 Jun 2018, 11:04

What about the other suggestion: centring on/highlighting the clicked airspace?
RogerF

Postby farfly » 11 Jun 2018, 00:14

Complexity and performance to display the map tile remain the same for every scale.

For wider zoom (over 60NM, zoom 4 and 5), I would suggest to alleviate the overlayers applied to the map.
Map Tiles of Aeronautical map are sufficient by themselves.
All names of airport and icons should be hidden (otherwise cluttered and unreadable)
Icons displayed should be limited to the minimum useful at these scale: VOR, major airports, large airpace, and points selected for the current navigation.

The idea is to have an overview of the current navigation with "strategical" point a view (planning and long term view) as opposed to a more "tactical" view (60NM roughly 30min with an average SEP)

I do think, this is really an important feature for a software as Fly Is Fun

Regards
farfly

Postby kitercuda » 30 Aug 2018, 04:49

I will try it.
kitercuda
Administrátor

Return to User suggestions