SafeSky and FlyIsFun

Troubles with application

SafeSky and FlyIsFun

Postby RogerF » 05 May 2022, 14:22

SafeSky is an application designed to send the aircraft GPS position to its server (in 3G/4G) and show the surrounding traffic (obtained from various sources like ADS-B, FLARM,... and of course other SafeSky users).
This application can optionally send traffic information to other applications in GDL90 format (via UDP port 4000).
Today, I successfully coupled it (at home) using the name of my home WIFI as SSID in FIF to achieve the coupling.
FIF requires indeed to specify the name of the WIFI network associated with the "stratux" device.
Looking forward to find a way to achieve the coupling in flight while connected to 3G/4G rather than on a WIFI network.
RogerF

Re: SafeSky and FlyIsFun

Postby Michele bassetti » 08 Jul 2022, 09:34

Great to see that with the last update safesky is now fully supported.

To set it up, just enable data sharing in safe sky and follow the instruction indicated (eXternal data, WiFi, gdl90, then use it, and only traffic)
I set the ssid to AlwaysListen, I don't know if it is needed though.

Everything working fine! Only downside is that you need to subscribe to safe sky for 30 eu/year that is more of what we pay for fyf! But the improvement on situation awareness worth the extra EU, in my opinion.
Michele bassetti

Postby RogerF » 10 Jul 2022, 21:40

On my smartphone (Xiaomi MIMAX), this works only if I have an active WIFI connexion.
This is a problem because this is only possible on the ground.
We are investigating with Petr and SafeSky author to get a way ahead with only mobile data active.
RogerF

Postby Michele bassetti » 11 Jul 2022, 08:25

I tested it on a Xiaomi mi 10 and on a Lenovo pad. Both working well, without any WiFi active. It is important to have AlwaysListen on ssid setting
Michele bassetti

Postby RogerF » 11 Jul 2022, 10:48

Interesting !

Of course, I use AlwaysListen in the FIF ssid settings.

Another key is to activate the WiFi hotspot; did you activate it ?
If yes, what are the selected parameters for this hot spot?

Some time ago, I was indeed able to get the coupling working with 3g data in this way, but this no longer works on my device.
(MIMAX - Android 7.0 - MIUI Global 10.2.2.0 stable)
RogerF

Postby Michele bassetti » 11 Jul 2022, 14:12

No hotspot Active. Fyf and save Sky running on the same device that's all.

On the Safe Sky side, maybe Is obvious but, you should select take off otherwise no data Is spread on the gdl90 interface.

The filter of the radar view also apply to the data sent.

Default Is +/-2000 ", all transponders and a/c types.

Hope that helps

Michele
Michele bassetti

Postby RogerF » 12 Jul 2022, 08:44

Obviously, my MIMAX with Android 7 does not behave the same.
RogerF

Postby Vasut » 30 Sep 2023, 19:19

Používám safesky a předávám si informace do FiF. Všiml jsem si, že se mi ale špatně převádí volací znaky - většinou poslední znak chybí. Nešlo by to nějak upravit? A nebylo by možné do FiF přenést krom volacího znaku i aktuální výšku letících letadel v dosahu? V Safesky mi to zobrazuje výšku ostatních letadel vůči té mé. Abych si se na blízké letadlo podíval, musím přepínat do aplikace Safesky a zpět do FiF, což je otravné...
Vasut

Return to Questions and answers