Other terrain data formats

Troubles with application

Other terrain data formats

Postby Holton181 » 10 May 2020, 16:26

Hi,

For my part of the world (northern Sweden) the terrain data available in FiF isn't the best available, so to say. A much better source I use for other mapping apps is taken from here:
https://data.opendataportal.at/dataset/dtm-sweden
It's LiDAR data in *.hgt format.
I have tried to find information on how to convert one elevation format to another, if ever possible, but haven't found any.
Even harder to find are any information regarding the *.ged format used in FiF. Is it an internal, non-standard format developed by yourself? Why did you chose that format over more readily available ones?
It would be very appreciated if we were allowed to use elevation data in different formats, to be able to download region specific data that might not be very well known outside said region. Of course, at our own discretion regarding safety.

BR
/H
Holton181

Re: Other terrain data formats

Postby kitercuda » 24 May 2020, 16:37

Do you want me to publish .ged data format?
kitercuda
Administrátor

Postby Holton181 » 24 May 2020, 18:35

Thanks for the offer.
Well, I don't know if I have enough knowledge about these things to make any use for it. The more I have searched for information to do some kind of conversion between formats, the more confused I got. I have found that GDAL can be used for translating between formats (I have tinkered just a bit with GDAL in QGis), but if .ged format isn't a standard format I doubt GDAL will be of any help. QGis can't open the .ged files anyhow.
Have you translated the source elevation data to .ged format yourself? From what format?
I guess you have your reasons for using .ged instead of conventional formats.
Best thing would be if you could allow FiF to read several elevation formats.
Holton181

Postby kitercuda » 13 Aug 2020, 19:17

.ged is internal binary FIF format made for quick reading from storage.
kitercuda
Administrátor

Return to Questions and answers