Route import problem since Android 12

Troubles with application

Route import problem since Android 12

Postby miloszes » 20 Aug 2022, 13:57

It seems that since Android 12 there is a problem to import routes exported from a different application, which has been downloaded or sent via email and stored on the phone's storage.
The application can import files exported from Fly Is Fun but cannot see files saved by other applications. It would be nice if there would be a folder with special permissions which allows FIF import files, or the possibility to import the route from the clipboard - so the file could be opened in the text editor and a route copied into the FIF skipping file permissions.
I checked this issue on my previous phone (Older Android) and it's working correctly there - I can import files sent via email.
miloszes

Re: Route import problem since Android 12

Postby miloszes » 21 Oct 2022, 17:27

Hi,

any thoughts about this problem?

Regards,
Miłosz
miloszes

Postby Tonio » 10 Dec 2022, 15:46

With Android 11, Google introduced lot of restrictions that make import and export = nightmare

Work around that seem to work for KML files

Save the route as .kml in the Document directory
With a file manager application, as the one of Google, select and open the .kml file. To open it, select Fly Is Fun, than import to routes
Fly Is Fun Route libary open, click on the horizontal import arrow that appear on the bottom right

For me it works with .kml, not with the GPX

Let us know if this workaround works
Tonio
Administrátor

Postby kitercuda » 14 Dec 2022, 08:40

Hello,

Google makes more and more restrictions. If yoo want to copy your files to Android device, connect your device to PC and open Windows file manager and copy files to
...\Android\data\gps.ils.vor.glasscockpit\files
Attachments
files.jpg
files.jpg (142.03 KiB) Viewed 2339 times
kitercuda
Administrátor

Postby RogerF » 04 Jan 2023, 07:48

Due to Android restrictions on writing to the µSD card, I have defined a FlyIsFun folder in the Internal storage and I use it to export/import routes and other items.
In such Internal folder, any app can then read/edit/write the files.
RogerF

Postby Tonio » 30 Jan 2023, 21:28

Bravo Roger
Simple and smart work around
Should we add that in the doc?
Tonio
Administrátor

Postby RogerF » 01 Feb 2023, 09:45

Good idea to add the workaround in the doc.
RogerF

Postby Tibor » 29 Jun 2023, 20:17

Hello,

I had to update my phone, and my new phone is a Samsung A52s with Android 13, which has more strict limitations than earlier Androids had. :(

When I plan my routes I usually upload it onto my Google drive, then download it from my Google drive into my mobile device, and must copy it in the appropriate folder to be able to import it into FiF. Long and boring (but cableless :-))

It would be nice to have an opportunity to import from my Google drive directly. That could shortcut the Android security limitations too. FiF backs up my data to my Google drive, so there must be an integration already, why couldn't it be a two way integration?

What I would like to have is like a FiF menu: Navigate -> Route -> Menu -> Import and here not just the local storages, but the Google drive folder as well. (And Information -> Airspaces and patterns -> Menu -> Import from Google drive)

Is that possible?

Tibor
Tibor

Postby Tibor » 29 Jun 2023, 20:27

RogerF wrote:Due to Android restrictions on writing to the µSD card, I have defined a FlyIsFun folder in the Internal storage and I use it to export/import routes and other items.
In such Internal folder, any app can then read/edit/write the files.

This is not true any more for Android 13 (at least on Samsung devices). The built in android file manager(s) (there are two for some mystery reason) refuse to write in such directory. The sole application I could find was Total Commander which can write it. I suspect, Andriod will restrict further in newer versions. :-(
Tibor

Return to Questions and answers